2003-01-27 SvsG Emails
14:44 from Nick
|Date:||Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:44:07 -0500|
|From:||"N. Staddon" <email@example.com>|
|User-Agent:||Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130|
|Subject:||Golf stuff, ETP, Miriam, etc.|
All this new stuff we've become entangled in is not the direction I want to go in. I feel like every new idea you have, you expect me to drop whatever I'm doing (often your _previous_ idea...) and immediately work on it; this is rather like expecting a race car driver to switch race tracks in mid-race. My energy about this is still relatively low, but I needed to tell you so you would understand why I'm having trouble making progress on any of this.
There are two main avenues of business that I'm interested in and which seem worthwhile to pursue without cash in advance:
1. Adding more low-end gifty type stuff to the store, because most of what we sell is low-end gifty type stuff (and the mid-to-upper-end stuff we sell occasionally, i.e. Flores, causes more trouble than the occasional sale we do manage to pull thru. What's the status of those 2 or 3 Flores orders from back in Nov/Dec? I rest my case.) -- specifically: let's get Earth Creations, EarthSunMoon, and Fashion Victim (just the cool stuff) back in the store. For this we need images and the latest catalogs. Also PrimalWear -- need their latest catalog and images. Last time I looked at their web site, it looked like about 30-50% of the stuff we have listed (in db but not online) was no longer available, and there was a goodly quantity of new stuff we would want to include.
...because we are likely to see real gains from it in the near-term (2-4 months).
2a. Music. I have purchased the domain gnumusiq.com and am working on specifications for how it should work. Basically, I want a venue where musicians (and perhaps artists of other media) can upload their works and get exposure based on quality/talent, without requiring touring or advertising to get noticed. And anyone (even on a dial-up) should be able to hear quality music for free, though perhaps not in downloadable form (to be worked out...). Those who pay get more flexibility & more services, and the profit goes to the musicians. Etc.
...because I want a place where I can upload my music and let it sink or swim on its own merit.
2b. Music. I'm transcribing my old recordings from 4-track and 8-track to computer for remixing. I hope to record more and make it all generally available, preferably via some low-maintenance option such as gnumusiq.com.
For everything else:
1. If you expect the golf thing to make lots of money, i.e. at least $1000/month, show me the math. (And be aware that I'm going to add lots of salt to it because of the way you tend to drastically overestimate sales -- e.g. how many people in Atlanta have cable vs. how many Xmas CDs we sold this year on the strength of Lynne's promotion on that public access show.)
2. For the jockey thing, let's get a silent partner. Is Juliet interested in putting in a few hundred for a minimalist version 1? Just enough to pay for my time to design and build something that's workable enough to bring in a few customers, from which we could then build further. (Same applies to the bigxfer.com idea.)
3. For anything you want me to add to the store which is not a low-end gifty sort of thing or which I don't have a good grasp of -- ETP, the furniture stuff, and the golf stuff all fit this description -- then I need you to do a little clarifying work on your end. I need to see what you want in the DB, and I need it in this format:
For each supplier:
- Supplier name (optional abbr.)
- List of titles
For each title:
- Title (name of item)
- List of options
For each option:
- Option description (options for shirts include sizes, longsleeve)
- Price for that option
- Cost to us for that option
- Shipping weight or cost
- If s/h is given as a cost, note whether this is an Estimate or a firm Quote
If there is additional information or text which should accompany a given title, make note of that in a separate location.
The main listing should all be together; two possible layouts that come to mind:
- Supplier (S1)
- Another Supplier (S2)
(S1) Title Option Price Cost Shipping (E) Option Price Cost Shipping (Q) (etc.) (S2) Title Option Price Cost Shipping (Q) .... === or... === Supplier Title Option Price Cost Shipping E Option Price Cost Shipping Q (etc.) Title Option Price Cost Shipping Q (etc.) (etc.) Supplier Title Option Price Cost Shipping Q (etc.) (etc.) (etc.)
4. I'm also following up on 2 possible contracting leads for programming work (largely of the telecommuting variety) because I need the money. (You & I both need faster computers, my car needs a new timing belt and other things, the Benz needs to be rescued before it becomes mainly of interest to archaeologists, etc.)
I'm not trying to say you've been doing anything wrong, just clarifying my headspace on a couple of issues before the clutter accumulated too much. It's about how to make things right, not how they've been wrong.
Hope this makes sense.