Sunday, November 6, 2022 (#310)
other topics: politics
Today we have a StringThing meetup (outdoors, masked) and I should really start in on voting research by getting our address's sample ballot.
Also, need to reset all the clocks that aren't internet-driven, cuz DST ended last night. (Supposedly when it goes on again next year, they'll just leave it on -- so in theory, this is the last time setting the clocks back -- though not yet the last time having to reset them after a change.)
The new Hav-a-Hart mousetrap which arrived yesterday caught one last night; I released it way back in the woods. (Update: video posted on Nov. 11.)
...and I even managed to get some coding done at StringThing! Lots of crashpoints eliminated. I think I'm getting rid of the Kiosk classes.
Apparently I have now succeeded in moving Z's phone number! Today was the PIN's expiry date, too, so it was a bit of a toss-up as to whether it was still valid.
Things I learned:
- I had somehow entered the (long since expired) PIN for my transfer (back in August), instead of the PIN they gave me for transferring Z's number.
- This is why it's important for me to be able to focus when doing this stuff...
- "Account numbers" at Republic are tied to each phone, not to the web login -- so Z's account number was not the same as mine.
- I also needed to re-select (on the previous screen) "Republic Wireless" as the old carrier.
- Until all of these things were fixed, Mint kept insisting that the problem was a zipcode mismatch. >.<
- Mint's app never updated to show success; the only notification was an email. There was no way to refresh the transfer status screen, or to return to it after leaving it.
- We verified the transfer by sending a text from Z's phone -- it came through with the correct sender phone number. Much less trouble than my xfer was...
- Shortly after that, an email arrived from Republic saying they were cancelling the old account (this is good). So now we're down to two numbers I need to transfer (B's and H's).
- I wonder if I can get a single PIN for both numbers, or at least get PINs for both in the same phone call.
3:13 EST (4:08 EDT)
The automatic-setting-by-shortwave has never worked well here. It would be smart, it seems to me, to put the radio receiver in the temperature-sensor unit (which goes outside and therefore is better placed to be able to pick up a signal) rather than on the indoor unit, but for some reason they apparently never do this.
It was only 2.07k this morning. (For the uninitiated: we're getting a flood of new users because of Elongate.)
Sample ballot gotted.