Tigger, better known to many by the pseudonym Ann Veronica Simon stated on her birth-certificate, was Woozle's close friend and confidant from 1981 until her death, and much-beloved godmother to Anna Nikola. As one of Jenny's close friends in the CFS middle school circa 1979, she was a founding member of the "Goresum Foursum" (along with Cindy S. and Erika J.)
Woozle gave her the name "Tigger" – in commemoration of her eternally energetic and bouncy nature – while they were both at Brown, which she attended as an undergraduate from 1985-1989 and where she became a member of the Delta Psi chapter at King House.
She had almost completed graduate school at the University of California at Berkeley at the time of her death; she was granted her degree posthumously. The Ann Veronica Simon Outstanding Dissertation Award (see) was established at the LSU Women's & Gender Studies department in her honor not long after. (See 2006 Ann Simon fundraising letter for details)
Some original Tigger phrases:
- Whatever wiggles your guinea-pig.
- Please kiss your own spaghetti.
- Born: February 15, 1968 (Valentine's Boxing Day)
- Died: February 24, 2003, Berkeley, CA; brain/spinal cancer (glioblastoma)
- The Tigger category has photos
- Woozle writes about Tigger
- 2007.02 Ann wrote the first two lines (perhaps more; not sure) and inspired the overall verbal feel of the song Your Brilliant Career, a rough draft of which is now available for free download (MP3).
- Brian's page about Ann's cancer (was): good photos of Tigger in life, and the story of a heartbreaking struggle
The Tigger Appreciation Society: from the Hypertwins, updated on Tigger's last living birthday.this page needs to be resurrected; I still have the files.
- Ann's Writings:
- An obituary in alt.obituaries
Hedgehogs! dee dee dee!
~ The Ann Veronica Simon Memorial Collection of Hedgehog Miscellany ~
Projects to fight cancer via distributed computing
- 2008-02-21 Yale Lab Engineers Virus That Can Kill Deadly Brain Tumors: is this a cure, just a few years too late? "A laboratory-engineered virus that can find its way through the vascular system and kill deadly brain tumors has been developed by Yale School of Medicine researchers..."
- 2006-07-19 Possible Birthplace Of Malignant Brain Tumors Identified: "...suggests a possible treatment for ... malignant gliomas"
- 2006-01-19 Mobile phone use not linked to increased risk of glioma brain tumours: Tigger used a cell phone heavily in the last 5 or so years of her life, and I always wondered.
- 2006-01-10 Researchers ... uncover clue to explain invasive brain tumors: glioblastoma multiformae is the type of cancer Tigger had